Who knew such a gem could exist off 56th Street?
The Whitby Hotel is just over a year old…
…and also whimsical and sweet. Those floor to ceiling windows, so lovely.
When there are too many dreamy pieces and parts to absorb, what’s the best thing we can do? Sit back, relax…
…and head downstairs, into The Orangery for…
…afternoon tea! The Whitby offers two types of afternoon tea: Classic and Healthy afternoon tea (which can also be made vegan upon request). We’ll take a look at both options. Above left, is the Classic three tiers…
…and this is the Vegan three tiers. We’ll work our way from the bottom up for each of these afternoon teas.
Classic savories include:
- Smoked salmon sandwich, mustard cream
- Watermelon radish sandwich, chive butter
- Cucumber sandwich, butter, white balsamic
- Prosciutto sandwich, pickled mustard seeds, brie
Vegan savories include:
- Roasted red pepper mousse, cucumber
- Vegan tuna sandwich, coconut and chickpea
- Caprese, tomato, basil, shoyu tofu, focaccia
- Baked sweet potato, tomato salsa, edamame, chanterelles
The Classic comes with one plain scone and another dotted in currants. To accompany the scones: clotted cream, lemon curd, and strawberry jam.
Healthy tea comes with vegan scones (one plain, another with apricots) which were satisfyingly warm and crumbly to the bite. In places of strawberry preserves was a strawberry puree, and clotted cream was replaced with cashew cream (which I was very enamored with…will be making this at home soon). The cashew cream was fluffy and plush, completely different from clotted cream, but no lesser of an accompaniment.
And the tea, of course :) There are two default tea options: Earl Grey and a Bespoke English Breakfast blend.
For a supplement, guests may opt from eight other classic options or have Mythical Creatures tea (oolong, sunflower blossoms, cornflower blossoms, green mango)
(All the china used for the afternoon tea is from a Kit Kemp x Wedgewood collaboration called Mythical Creatures.)
Then time for dessert.
Classic sweets (on the left):
- Lemon pie
- Cheesecake, cherry compote
- Orange marmalade Swiss roll
- Mixed berries and green tea pound cake
- Dark chocolate and Amaretto opera cake
Healthy sweets (on the right):
- Carrot cake sticky bun, Sicilian pistachios
- Almond crunch cake, Valrhona 70%
- Warm banana cake, stone fruit jam
- Housemade granola bar, seasonal jam
A dreamy escape, indeed.